I love it when I feel healthy and energized, so every time I hear about a safe way to detox and/or heal my body, I jump right in and try it out!
I discovered the oil pulling method about 6 months ago, and absolutely LOVE it. It is an excellent way to detox and improve your health without going to extreme measures.
So what is oil pulling?
Oil pulling is an ancient detox method, and alternative healing therapy developed by the Indians (not the Native American Indians). It is a common practice in Ayurvedic medicine, and was popularized by Ukrainian Physician Dr. F. Karach.
Oil pulling involves swishing a cold-pressed organic oil in your mouth for 15-20 minutes, and then spitting it out. Sunflower and sesame oil are generally used for oil pulling, but there are other oils you can use too. I will provide a link to the other oils that you can try out.
I know what you’re thinking…This is absolutely insane!…Even if you are thinking this, I suggest you read on because the health benefits of oil-pulling are phenomenal.
What can oil-pulling do for me ?
Oil pulling is known to:
- boost energy
- help allergy problems
- clear sinuses
- create fresher breath
- correct teeth/gum problems
- heal mouth infections
- whiten teeth
- correct joint problems
- fix digestive problems
- help with insomnia and chronic fatigue
- rid headaches
- heal eczema
- cure cancer
- shrink tumors
- and more
How does oil pulling work?
There are many theories on how oil pulling works. I will discuss the most legitimate ones I have found:
- When the oil enters your mouth, it activates the enzymes (aka saliva) in your mouth. The swishing of the enzymes (or saliva) then assists in drawing toxins from your blood through the mucous membrane in your mouth.
- Have you ever heard that – poor mouth health may be linked to other health conditions in the body? Well if we can kill harmful bacteria and fungus in our mouths with sunflower, sesame, and several other oils (which have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties), we will not only have healthier mouths, but a healthier bodies in return!
- Oil-pulling increases bile production in the liver to help rid toxins.
There is not much information out there on the science of oil-pulling; all I know for sure is that it does work!
How to Oil Pull:
In order for oil-pulling to work properly, you must start on an empty stomach; no food can be consumed for 4 hours, and no water can be consumed for approximately one hour before starting the procedure. Because of this, most people “oil-pull” first thing when they wake up in the morning. So, here’s how you “oil-pull”:
- Put approximately one tablespoon of sunflower oil, sesame oil, or a recommended oil listed on this website into your mouth. I have had much success with extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil. BTW: It is best if the oil is cold-pressed and organic.
- Tilt your head slightly back to ensure that the oil can get to your back teeth and mucous membrane in your oral cavity.
- Swish the oil slowly in your mouth. Make sure to swish it, or “pull” it through your teeth too. Note: Do not gargle or swallow the oil! If you swallow the oil, the toxins and bacteria will re-enter your body.
- Swish the oil in your mouth for 15-20 minutes, and then spit the oil into the sink or toilet. Note: The oil will become very thin and white when it is time to discard.
- Rinse mouth with water a couple of times and spit.
How often should you oil-pull?
Many people oil-pull once a day in the morning. Other people oil-pull 3 times a day. It’s really up to you. I personally oil pull once a day when I wake up in the morning. If you a trying to cure a disease or health problem, I recommend repeating the treatment three times a day. Dr. Karach explains that it can take 2 days to one year to completely cure a health problem, depending on the severity of the condition and the lifestyle and diet of the individual.
Signs that Oil-Pulling is Working:
- You may have increased mucous production from throat and sinuses. Although this is quite gross, this is a good thing! Mucous is what collects toxic substances and foreign particles and prevents them from entering the body. The mucous will move up your throat and you will be able to expel the toxic phlegm.
- Fresher breath
- Healthier gums & teeth (firmer and whiter teeth, less bleeding from gums)
- Deeper sleep
- More energy
- Improved memory
- Diminished under eye circles
*Warning* You may experience worsening symptoms when you begin oil-pulling, but after a week you should feel much better. You will feel worse at first because your body is detoxing, and working hard to remove harmful toxins from your body. In other words, your body is releasing toxins for elimination at a faster rate than what it is used to, and that is why you tend to feel so horrible.
My Experience with Oil Pulling:
When I first started oil-pulling, I felt very under the weather; my mind was foggy, I had constant headaches, and I had no energy. However, after about a week of oil-pulling I felt great and I had so much more energy!
Oil pulling also works wonders at loosing phlegm from my throat and freshening my breath! This is the main reason why I continue to oil pull.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Please let me know if you have any questions. 🙂