You may think this is absurd, but rubbing your face with oil is a reliable and natural way to wash your face! The term for this is called the Oil Cleansing Method.
I used to have extremely oily skin. I would wash my face before bed and the next morning my face would be incredibly oily almost like I hadn’t washed it the night before. Now that I think about it, I guess it all makes sense: When you wash your face with an over-the-counter facial cleanser, it strips the natural oils from your face – and these natural oils are essential for your skin! Therefore, your body adapts to the situation by producing more sebum (or oil). And that is why my skin was constantly oily.
After googling natural ways to wash my face, I came across the Oil Cleansing Method and I thought I would give it a try. I must admit, I was skeptical about putting oil on my face, but I did it anyways, and now I love it! I oil cleanse my face once a day (before bed), and in the morning I just splash warm water over my face.
So what is the Oil Cleansing Method? The OCM is a cleansing method that will leave your skin clear of blemishes, and hydrated at the same time. You can have the best of both worlds!
What You Will Need for the Oil Cleansing Method
1. Wash Cloth
2. Castor Oil (Preferably Organic and Cold-Pressed): Castor oil assists in cleansing the pores. It drawls the impurities out including: excess oil, bacteria, whiteheads, blackheads and makeup.
- I use this Castor Oil. (Unfortunately, it is not organic because this is all they had at my local health food store.***Important note: Castor oil is very drying due to its strong cleansing properties; this is why it is imperative that you use the additional oil mentioned below.
3. A Carrier Oil of Your Choice(Preferably Organic and Cold-Pressed): The carrier oil dilutes the castor oil, and helps keep the skin hydrated. Your skin type can help you determine which oil to use…
- If you have oily skin, try Jojaba Oil, Emu oil, Watermelon Seed oil, or Baobab oil. Most people with acne-prone skin recommend jojaba oil. You can also add a drop of tea tree oil if you have acne.
- If you have dry skin, try Extra Virgin Coconut Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- If you have combination/normal skin, try Grape Seed Oil, Sunflower Oil, or Almond Oil. I have combination skin and I use this Grapeseed Oil.
***Note: There are several other carrier oils not mentioned above that you can use too.
Oil Cleansing Method Steps
- Mix a tiny drop of castor oil with about a quarter size of carrier oil (your choice, of course) in the palm of your hands.
- Rub your hands together to warm the oil.
- Gently massage the oil all over your dry face. Spend some extra time massaging your problem areas to work the oil deep into your pores. Don’t worry; the castor oil is what helps drawl the impurities out. I usually spend 1-3 minutes massaging. Note: **You can use the oil in the eye area to remove makeup too! **
- Drench your wash cloth with warm water. Make sure that it’s not too hot.
- Put warm wash cloth over face. The steam from the wash cloth will open the pores and drawl out the impurities.
- After the wash cloth has cooled down, gently wipe the oil off of your face.
- Rinse the wash cloth with warm water and wipe again.
- Now you’re done!
- Use the OCM only once a day. I wash my face with the oils before bed, and in the morning I just splash some warm water on my face.
- If your skin is too dry after doing the OCM, use less castor oil.
- If your skin is too oily after doing the OCM, use a little more castor oil.
- Use the oil to remove your eye makeup too! It works great! Plus, it’s all natural.
Warning: When I first started the OCM my face broke out, and I TOTALLY freaked out. I thought – Why in the world did I just put oil on my face?! I was going to quit and go back to my regular cleansing method, but I soon discovered from many online discussion boards that your skin will get worse before it gets better. In other words, the castor oil is releasing the excess oil that is trapped in your pores. After reading that, I decided to stick with the OCM and now, I almost never break out. Trust me…give it a few weeks, and your skin will look flawless, and have a healthy, normal balance of sebum.
No more harsh chemicals on your skin!! YAY!